Okay, I’ve not blogged for a while and this was mainly due to being subjected to SharePoint 2007 development once again. However, I’m now into the land of SharePoint 2013 and I’ve no doubt I will be actively posting once more as I discover various nuances of the new environment.
So, here’s my first, which was a bit of a head scratcher!! After creating a custom list, I tried to add a new list item and received the following unhelpful error.
After a bit of Google-ing as few fixes were suggested, but none of which seemed like a viable solution. For reference, so you don’t go down same route, these were :
- Enable Anonymous access
- Restart the SharePoint Search Host Controller service
- Lack of RAM
None of these work, so don’t even try.
Next step, was to go to the logs where I found a call was being made to the /_vti_bin/client.svc/ProcessQuery
However, on opening the WCF service in the browser I received the following 500 error “Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object” which lead me the eventual problem.
My web.config didn’t have a serviceHostingEnvironment element. Adding the following to the <system.serviceModel> section resolved the issue
Service Hosting Element
- <serviceHostingEnvironment aspNetCompatibilityEnabled="true"/>
However, you may have the following already in your config
Wrong Service Hosting Environ
- <serviceHostingEnvironment multipleSiteBindingsEnabled="true" aspNetCompatibilityEnabled="true"/>
If you remove multipleSiteBindingsEnabled="true" it should work
Hope this helps you save a few hours